Monday, May 16, 2011

Makeover Monday- Rain Day Manicure

Another Makeover Monday is here and this past week I got a chance to spend some special one on one time with my little one to share a rainy day manicure together.



Thursday was a rainy day and we were stuck inside. Both of us were sick of movies and so we decided to do something special. I'm glad we were able to pamper ourselves in the morning because it turned out that my little girl was coming down with something. Later that afternoon she had a 103 fever and slept the afternoon away. That morning, however, she was all about the sparkly nail polish.




1. We started by cleaning our hands. We removed all our old nail polish and washed our hands. Then I scrubbed my hands with coffee grounds. L would have nothing to do with this.... but she told me that she didn't mind if I did it. All I did was remove the cooled coffee grounds from my coffee pot and scrub my hands all over. It left a residue from the oils in the coffee but it felt really nice.




2. Then we softened our nails and got our hands really clean by soaking them in some warm water with a nice lavender/vanilla bubble bath thrown in. L loved this part.

3. Next we pushed our cuticles back using a damp cotton swab.

4. We also trimed our nails and shaped them to make them even and strong.





5. Next I applied a hand mask. Once again little L. wanted nothing to do with it so I massaged a little sesame oil into her hands. For myself I simply combined a couple of tablespoons of warm cooked oatmeal with 4 to 5 drops of almond oil and spread this on my hands to dry. I sat there for about 15 minutes while we enjoyed a glass of lemonaide.





6. Next we took turns massaging cream into each others hands. She was very sweet and took her job very seriously.




7. After that it was time to apply the polish. I painted her nails a pretty shade of light pink and sadly forgot to snap a photo. For myself I tried to use a natural nail polish. I read that you can use henna to add a slight tint and shine to your nails. I'm not sure what I did wrong... it looked uneven with more color on my cuticle than anywhere else. I wasn't very happy with the effect so I applied some copper colored nail polish to cover up the mistake.


After all the time and care my hands felt fantastic. I'm not usually the type to paint my nails and take so much time on my hands... but days later, although the polish is chipped and needs a touch up, my hands still look and feel better for the care. I also had a great time with my little one.


Do you like to get a manicure? Do you like to do your manicures at home or go out for a little pampering? Leave a comment and tell me about it.



Also feel free to link up with Mr. Linky. Any makeover posts are welcome... whether you write about fashion, makeup, or maybe you just make things (sew, knit or whatever) to add a personal touch to your wardrobe. Any posts about making yourself look and feel better are what Makeover Monday is about... so come on... post a link... You know you want to.



And don't forget to visit the Zany Housewife and read her Monday Makeover post.








6 comments:

  1. What an adorably day with your daughter! I used to love doing things like that with my mom - looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait until my daughter is old enough to do this!

    Coffee grounds are also good for cellulite. Not that I have any *cough*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you two got some good pampering in before her fever hit. I hope she is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coffee for cellulite huh? I'll have to tell my "friend" about that.

    The daughter and I had a great time... My older daughter is having a friend spend the night this weekend. I'm thinking that we will do a spa night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mother and daughter days are so much fun! Thanks for sharing such a great time you had together!

    ReplyDelete

Tamales and Karaoke