Thursday, May 26, 2011

Garden Fresh Potato Salad

Over the weekend some friends gave me potatoes and onions from their garden. What better way to use them than to make this fresh potato salad with herbs from my own backyard. I grew up eating potato salad in a dressing of mustard and mayo. I love it, but I prefer this vinegar based version. It is lighter and really shows off the character of the garden fresh vegetables.

Marinated Potato Salad

This dish is very easy to make. If you have any leftovers they are great to fry for breakfast the next day.

10 medium red potatoes

1 C. red wine or balsamic vinegar

5 C. water

6 (+) cloves of garlic peeled and cut in half

1 C. red onion diced

salt and pepper

a handful of chopped fresh herbs

Heat the potatoes, vinegar, water, garlic and salt until potatoes are soft, but not mushy. Drain potatoes (Do NOT rinse) and mix in onions and pepper. Add the fresh herbs. I like to use basil and oregano. Sometimes I drizzle this salad with olive oil. Other great additions are: Olives, cherry tomatoes, and roasted peppers.

We had this wonderful salad with a selection of sliced pears and Middle Eastern Turkey Burgers topped with Tzatziki Sauce. I adjusted the spices a bit on the turkey burgers because I was out of paprika... but it came out wonderfully. The tutorial on making the tzatziki provided in the link is super cool... I used mint instead of dill and the taste was fabulous. This meal could easily be made vegetarian by opting for a veggie burger instead of the turkey. I still have a cup or two of the tzatziki sauce leftover and I'm trying to figure out how to use it in tonight's meal. I'm thinking about using it as a yogurt based marinade for chicken (like tandoori chicken in Indian food). I'll let you know how it turns out.

Cheers,
Jenn




6 comments:

  1. Okay, that's it. I have to go out and get more potatoes. We just ran out and I keep seeing all these incredible potato-rific recipes. I LOVE balsamic vinegar and think that would beat the typical mustard/mayo dressing. I can't wait to try this!!!
    p.s. not sure why my name won't pop up when I try to send this comment through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made 1/2 this recipe and it was perfect for the hubby and I with leftovers for today's lunch. A full recipe would probably be great for a pot luck or bbq.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks SO good! I can't wait to try it. I think potato and macaroni salad can very easily be ruined by someone too eager with the mayo. I also think that they're two of those recipes that nobody makes quite as well as your own mom does. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it, but I have never made any type of potato salad! Yours look delish!

    ReplyDelete

Tamales and Karaoke