Thursday, July 7, 2011

Little Spoon's First Stop


Little Spoon collected it's first recipe recently and now it is off to Kenya, Africa (If you haven't read my previous post about this little spoon then check it out here ). It was picked up from our geocache at the spring lake trail head a few weeks ago and it has been traveling ever since. It changed hands at a recent geocaching event and is going to fly thousands of miles next week. Hopefully it's new carrier will sample some exotic dishes and visit exciting new places before passing my little spoon on.

Little spoon has already traveled a bit in Texas and it had a hand in making some delicious cupcakes. I haven't tried this recipe yet. Not only is it too dang hot to turn on my oven right now... but I decided to wait to try this one sometime when I have a more adult audience. Even if the alcohol is cooked off before stuffing it inside the cupcake... I still wouldn't feel right about serving cherries marinated in booze to my three and six year old.

Here is the recipe for your enjoyment... It sounds a lot like Black Forest Cake... I love the combination of chocolate and cherry... so I'm pretty sure if I made this dessert I couldn't eat just one. Here is the recipe in StephGails own words:

StephGails Boozy Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes

cupcake/cake recipe

2 1/4 C flour
1 2/3 C sugar (I use bakers sugar)
3/4 C butter or margarine
2/3 C baking cocoa (I inevitably add more than this by at least a TBSP)
1 1/4 C water
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs

Oven to 350 degrees
Grease bottom/sides of pan or use paper liners for cupcakes

Mix all dry ingredients, sift together so no lumps
Cream the butter/margarine with the eggs, water and vanilla
Mix the wet ingredients into the dry mixing continuously so not lumpy

bake cupcakes 22-25 minutes
bake cake -rectangular 13x9x2 - 40-45 minutes
-2 round pans 9 x 1.5 or 3 8x1.5 - 30-35 minutes

for the filling that I used
I buy the sour morello cherries in the jars from trader joes (or any jar of sour cherries in cherry juice - NOT syrup)
i used 1 jar to fill 3 dozen cupcakes with 1 - 1.5 teaspoons of filling

I started by pouring out about half the cherry juice and filling the empty half jar with amaretto and kirsch (cherry liquor from Germany) - about 1 to 1.5 Cups liquor - I mixed in with the liquor about a tablespoon - tablespoon and a half of corn starch powder and 2 teaspoons of cocoa powder and let sit for a couple days in the fridge. when ready to use I shook the jar to release any powder that settled to the bottom and poured the liquid into a saucepan. The drained cherries I chopped and returned to the saucepan. On a high heat I watched the saucepan like a hawk stirring regularly and making sure it didn't burn. Removing it from the heat after it softly bubbled for a few minutes (not to a rolling boil). I then transferred the sauce to a bowl and refrigerated until cool and ready to work with.

For the cupcakes I let them cool to room temperature and then careful cut a round conical divit in the top, removing some of the cake and keeping the top intact. I hollowed a little bit out of the cupcake, just a little, and put in a teaspoon to teaspoon and a half in the cupcake, returned the top and frosted.

For frosting -go nuts and make your own or do what I usually do and use the canned stuff.

Cheers,
Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tamales and Karaoke