Monday, July 11, 2011

Makeover Monday- Summer fun has not been fun for my skin or my hair.

The past few weeks have been jam packed with days in the sun, trips to the pool, late nights, and early mornings. All of this has had an impact on how I feel and look. Overall I'm having a blast and feeling great... but last night I took some time to at least repair a little of the damage that I've done to my hair and skin.

I've had a number of trips to a chlorinated pool lately and decided that before my hair turned green in protest I needed to do something about it. So last night I whipped up a mixture of the juice of a couple of limes, 1 t. baking soda, and a squirt of shampoo. I applied this to my hair and let it sink in while I shaved and showered. The original recipe used lemon juice and suggested leaving the mixture on for 30 minutes... but I probably left it on for about 10. My hair has been kind of dry lately and I didn't want to leave something that acidic on my hair for so long.

After I rinsed it out my hair felt VERY clean... squeaky clean in fact. I felt like all the product buildup was gone... but my hair also felt in serious need of some deep conditioning. I decided to do a hot oil treatment with some olive oil from the pantry. I heated it up in the microwave for about 20 seconds (checking it at 10 so it didn't get too hot) and then combing it through my hair with my fingers.

While my hair was soaking up all that oily goodness I decided to do one of my all time favorite facials... an egg white facial. I've covered this one before on Makeover Monday... but it's such a good way to tighten pores that I felt like it deserved a revisit. My skin has been so greasy from all the cheap sun screen that I smear on daily that I needed something to tighten up my pores and make my skin feel smooth and young. I also didn't want to let that egg yolk go to waste so I took the plastic wrap off my hair and added it to the oily mess as a bit of a bonus.

After the egg whites dried I washed my face and then shampooed the oil and yolk out of my hair before going to bed. I took a picture of my with oily goo in my hair... but it is too horrible to post here. I'm not usually shy about posting horrible pictures of myself, but trust me, this one is better deleted and forgotten.

This morning my hair looks pretty good. Usually after I do a hot oil treatment my hair lacks body for a day or two... but today it is nice and full and it looks like a lot of the damage has been repaired. I'm surprised to find that it is not oily at all. My skin feels a lot better too.

Now if I could only get a good nights sleep I think I would be back to normal. The next couple of weeks are going to be packed with birthdays and events... I turn 41 on Thursday, and my husband turns 40 the following week...but after that, perhaps I can catch up on my beauty rest.

Cheers,
Jenn

As always... grab a button, link up, and visit the Zany Housewife... She has a beautiful new hair color.



5 comments:

  1. Good for your to take some time to pamper yourself. In case I miss a birthday post, Happy Birthday!! Have a fabulous week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Makeover Monday posts. I have to remember to read your blog more often, it gets lost in the queue, but I enjoy it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOOh!!! Happy Almost Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY. I love your blog and all the good things I learn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all... and thanks for the birthday wishes. I have been a bit of a slacker this week about posting... but I've been having too much fun to write much. I had a fabulous birthday.

    ReplyDelete

Tamales and Karaoke