Thursday, June 17, 2010

Hush


I just need to relax a little... do some yoga breathing... and relax. We are leaving on a trip to Honduras soon and I'm trying to get all my ducks in a line. I need to gather documents, pack, confirm house/dog/kid sitters, calm the children's nerves, and take a cleansing breath. The beginning preparations for a trip are so much fun... booking a flight and dreaming about all the possibilities... but then the reality creeps in, lists are made and I start to get the pre-trip jitters. I know that everything is going to be alright I just need to concentrate on taking care of myself and the kids and working through the list.
Which... as always... brings me to food. During times of stress comfort foods come to mind. For many people comfort foods are high in fat, sugar, and/or carbs. Rich desserts, fried foods, and simple carbohydrates... But do these foods really soothe the soul or simply weigh down the body and lull you into sleepy inactivity?
I think a healthy diet is in order to calm my mind and help me get things together. When I start to crave something deep fried and covered in chocolate... I'm going reach for some fruit instead...it is time to exercise and concentrate on getting a good nights sleep...It's the healthy life for me from now on!

Then at the end of a hard day of planning and crossing things off lists I'll reach for a bar of antioxidant-rich dark chocolate and a heart-healthy glass of red wine and make a toast to healthy living...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tamales and Karaoke