Monday, May 11, 2020

Time for Thai

I love making Thai food. One of my favorite things about it is that once you get the prep work out of the way it is amazingly fast and easy to make. My two favorite Thai dishes to make are Green Curry and Pad Thai. I especially love the green curry because it is so versatile.
If you have the seasonings and the coconut milk you can add just about anything you have to the sauce. The only hitch is that the ingredients don't cook long in the sauce so ingredients that take a long time to cook need to be cooked before you add them to the sauce. The only ingredient that I wasn't fond of cooked in green curry sauce were potatoes. Potatoes really work best when they have plenty of time to soak up the flavors of the sauce and par boiling them and adding them to the curry sauce really didn't work. It was ok it was just bland for a curry.

So the key to this like I said is time management. I really think that you need to have all the ingredients prepped and ready to go before you heat up the wok.

2T. oil or ghee
1.5-2 lb chicken
1 T. grated ginger
1-3 jalapeños
3 cloves of garlic
1 shallot or small onion
1/2 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. coriander
1/4 tsp. tumeric
1 can coco milk
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1 medium bell pepper
1 C. sugar snap peas
1/4 fresh basil and cilantro

To prep:  I like to start by putting on my rice. If I put it on while I prep then I won't forget. Then I cut up chicken. Next I chop onions, jalapeños, ginger, and garlic and place them in a bowl with the spices. Make sure to open your can of coconut milk and squeeze the lime juice. Then cut up your bell peppers and put them in a bowl with your snow peas. Now that all the chopping is done you are set up to cook just like they do on the cooking show.

The cooking:

  1. Cook the chicken in butter until it is cooked through and then set aside.
  2. Add the bowl that you set aside with the spices, jalapeños, ginger, onion, and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. 
  3. Add salt, coco milk, lime and your bowl with the snap peas and peppers. Cook until it is a vibrant yellow and green color.
  4. Take it off the heat, stir in chicken and allow to cool slightly before you add in the fresh herbs.



Tell me your favorite prepping short cut.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Tamales and Karaoke