Sunday, May 17, 2020

Naan-tastic

 

Last night I cooked Indian food. For some reason I have always shied away from making naan and have instead opted to make chapati. I guess making pita bread recently gave me the confidence I needed to try making naan myself. Traditional naan would be baked in a tandoori oven, but since I don't have a tandoori oven I used my cast iron skillet. I was really happy with how it turned out. It was soft and pillowy. Next time I think I will brush on some garlic butter instead of plain butter.

Naan

INGREDIENTS

1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 oz dry yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
3 tablespoons melted butter

In a glass add the sugar, warm water, and yeast together. Stir to combine well. The yeast should be activated when it becomes foamy, about 10 minutes. Place the flour in the bowl of your stand mixer. Make a well in the middle. Add the yeast mixture, yogurt, salt and oil, mix the dough using the dough hook until the surface becomes smooth and shiny. Put dough in a bowl and cover the dough with a damp cloth. Let it rise. The dough should double in size, about 1 hour. I let mine rise while I made the rest of the meal.Next you are going to divide the dough into 8 equal portions and roll into rounds.

Heat up a cast-iron skillet over high heat and lightly grease the surface with some oil to avoid the dough from sticking to the skillet. Place the dough on the skillet. When it puffs up and bubbles and burnt spots appear, flip it over and cook the other side.
Brush the naan with the melted butter, serve warm. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tamales and Karaoke