Tuesday, May 5, 2020

The Hunger Games

I love cooking competitions. It all started a few years after I was married when I borrowed a friends collection of Iron Chef on VHS. I loved that show! My husband and I would  watch that poorly dubbed gem and eat junk food until late in the night. 

Whose cuisine will reign supreme? Iron Chef | Alex England TV ...

I'm not a huge fan of the newer versions of Iron Chef. I have watched a few episodes and even though they are fine they just don't remind me much of the original show. Iron Chef for me was all about being campy and showcasing interesting ingredients. Iron Chef America always seemed like it was just a Food Network vanity showcase.Some of the other shows I've enjoyed along the way are:  Cut Throat Kitchen, Top Chef, Chopped, and even though I don't like cake very much I love watching shows where they decorate cakes and cupcakes. The only shows that are off the table for me are all those mean spirited ones with Gordon Ramsey yelling at everyone.One of my all time favorite cooking competitions is The Great British Baking Show. So when I heard that the 2015 champion Nadiya Hussain had her own cooking show on Netflix I decided to check it out. I have to say that it didn't totally WOW me, but it has a lot of good ideas and I think that I will watch it again. Her approach is to help people save time in the kitchen by using shortcuts. Some of her ideas are really clever and with a little tweaking I think that I will be able to use some of her ideas and recipes at home. I've only watched a few episodes so the jury is still out. Some of her shortcuts are a little on the short side for me.... for example I would never use spaghetti Os in ANYTHING. Most of her recipes, however, sound pretty good. Here is the recipe I tried at home:

I didn't have any mushrooms on hand so I started out by sautéing bell peppers, onions and garlic for my omelet.


I add the eggs to the mixture.  Unlike her I didn't have any sun-dried tomato spread so I used pesto sauce on my tortilla. 

I topped the omelet with the tortilla. Flipped it. Then cooked until the tortilla was crispy and the eggs were fully set. I rolled it up and served it with a salad and marinated tofu.

What is your favorite cooking show?  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tamales and Karaoke