Tuesday, May 12, 2020

Pokebowl GO!

Today for lunch I made Poke bowls.  Normally we have salmon and cream cheese on bagels as one of our afternoon meals but this week my husband and I are embarking on a healthy eating challenge and I thought I'd look for an alternative to the  bread-y bagels  and rich cream cheese. This was filling and wonderful and it could be made with a variety different ingredients. Several of the recipes that I found even used "anything bagel" topping in place of the furikake. The possibilities for these bowls are limited only by your imagination. It would be a great way to use leftover slaw or salad and rice.

If you'd like to know more about the origin of Poke I found this article on Chowhound.

Furikake (this makes enough for 4-6 servings)

2 nori sheets cut into small pieces
2 T. toasted sesame seeds
2 t. sugar
1/2 t. sesame oil
pinch of salt

Dressing (I doubled this recipe and I had plenty leftover for another round of salads)

2 T. soy sauce
2 cloves garlic
Juice from one half a lime
1 T. each rice wine vinegar, sugar and sesame oil

The Bowl:

  • You'll need to make some rice (brown, long grain, or jasmine all will work)
  • 2 oz smoked salad per serving
  • 1/2 - 1 scallion per serving
  • 1/4 of an avocado per serving
  • 2-4T chickpeas (I didn't have soy beans and I was surprised at how well this worked)
  • Thinly sliced veggies (I used cucumbers and sweet peppers)
  • pickled gin

I marinated the salmon in some of the dressing for about a half hour, but frankly I don't think that was totally needed. Smoked salmon is already pretty salty and I think it could have done with a lighter marinade of just a little sesame, citrus, garlic, vinegar and sugar.

After the rice was made I cooled it and topped it artfully with all the wonderful things I chopped up. 

Some things I might add that I didn't today: something crunchy like nuts or chopped cabbage, other veggies like radishes and carrots, other meats like left over chicken, marinated tofu... the possibilities are endless!

What do you like on your Poke Bowl?





1 comment:

  1. Very energetic blog, I loved that a lot. Will there be
    a part 2?

    ReplyDelete

Tamales and Karaoke