Friday, May 8, 2020

The Upper Crust

 Making bread has become a regular part of my cooking routine.  Even before the stay at home orders I was baking bread pretty much weekly. So when everything went a little nutty at the store and yeast started flying off the shelves I was glad I was fairly stocked up. I only had one time when I was in need and Gumby's Pizza came to the rescue and sent a small ranch container of yeast with our Pizza order. Last night I made my typical artisanal bread. It makes two small loaves, which is enough for dinner and then a loaf for breakfast the next day. This is a pretty easy recipe and one I use a lot.

Ingredients
2 C warm water
1 T sugar
1 T yeast (or one packet)
1 T. salt
4-5 cups flour


First add the sugar water and yeast together and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes until it gets frothy.  I do this in the bowl for my stand mixer so that I can just add the flour and start mixing when I'm ready.

Next using the bread hook add the flour and the salt. I add about 3 cups of flour and then add the flour a cup at a time until it starts to pull away from the side of the bowl
.

    Have it rise until doubles
Once the mixture is just mixed together I like to hand knead my dough for a while. If you don't want to do that then you will just let the mixer work on it until the dough has an elastic texture.


Next I transfer my dough to a glass bowl that I've coated with olive oil. I let the dough rise until it doubles in size. It can take as little as 30 minutes but it usually takes closer to an hour.
Divide the dough in half

Punch down the dough and divide it into two equal parts. You will form each half into a loaf. You can make long loaves like I did last night... or round ones. Or you can make one of each. Cut three slashes in the top of each loaf and leave them for the second rise (about 30-45 minutes).
While you wait for them to rise cover with a towel. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. I like to bake mine on a pizza stone that I keep in the oven while it preheats. Bake for 30-40 minutes and then cool on a wire rack.  Serve with olive oil or butter.
Here are what the loaves look like after the second rise
Now it's time to eat.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Tamales and Karaoke