Monday, August 8, 2011

Makeover Monday: Out of toothpaste and terribly unprepared edition


This weekend I got an unexpected break from my children after being stuck at home with them for almost 2 weeks with a mysterious illness. First one and then the other got a fever that lasted for 5 days. I had about 12 hours of fever free time between to run a few errands... they didn't even have the manners to get sick at the same time... so while I was nursing one sick kid the other was driving me crazy by running in circles and climbing the walls.

Thankfully by Saturday both kids were fever free and we got a chance to do a few fun weekend activities. We did a little geocaching and went to a friends birthday party. On Sunday we headed up to Austin to buy a new fish and have lunch with my folks... and that is where the unexpected break comes in. We had the wonderful pleasure of leaving both kids at my parents house overnight. It was nice to come home to a quiet kid-free evening.

The last thing I wanted to do with my free time was whip up a beauty treatment, so when I woke up this morning I had no idea what to write about. Then it came to me... I was out of toothpaste. So I went to my kitchen in search of the remedy. I had read one of the Zany Housewife's blog entries about how disgusting baking soda was... so I should have know better... but I was armed with a recipe and desperate after an evening of garlic rich foods, 1/2 bottle of wine, and then a cup of morning coffee.

I mixed together 1t. of cinnamon, with 2 t. of baking soda, and 2 t. of water to make a thick paste. I smeared some of this "oh-so-appealing" brown gunk on my toothpaste and brushed my teeth for as long as I could stand it. YUCK! My husband ventured into the bathroom to give it a try, but upon seeing it decided instead to to cut open the toothpaste tube and scrape out the last little bit of Crest.

Sure it tasted bad... but did it work? I got my answer with the quick, tight-lipped kiss my husband planted on me on his way out the door. Sure you can make your own toothpaste... but why? Now... Where is that mouthwash?

Cheers,
Jenn



Please feel free to leave a comment and tell me about your own homemade toothpaste experiments... and don't forget to visit the Zany Housewife.

1 comment:

  1. I do baking soda once in a while as a "special" treatment, but I've never used it without toothpaste. I agree it tastes horrible.

    ReplyDelete

Tamales and Karaoke