Thursday, October 28, 2010

Vegetarian Chili with Pumpkin


I promised to post this one when I posted my pumpkin pancake recipe so here it is...I'm not a vegetarian anymore so I don't make this one very often... but it used to be a regular on my table in the fall and winter.

You can of course make this using all fresh ingredients... for the canned beans just substitute two-three cups cooked pintos or red beans, substitute fresh pumpkin puree for the canned. You can also use fresh tomatoes when in season by blanching several of them in boiling water, removing the skin and then chopping.

Meatless Chili

1 can crushed tomatoes
2 cans beans
1 C. onion
2/3 C. Bulgar wheat
1 t. ground cumin
1 t. salt
2 roasted and peeled green chilies, chopped
1 can solid packed pumpkin
1 C. red bell peppers
2 1/2 T. chili powder
1 t. garlic powder... or better yet use 2-3 cloves fresh garlic

In a large pot combine 4 cups of water with all ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30-35 minutes serve garnished with plain yogurt.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds really good! Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll give this a try - - very interesting with the pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete

Tamales and Karaoke