Thursday, February 24, 2011

Chocolate Covered Strawberries

I'm not really sure where the first chocolate covered strawberry came from... there is much debate on the subject... all I know is that the flavors while excellent on their own somehow gain something in their combination. The first time I tasted this miraculous coupling wasn't until I was in college. I broke my leg right before final exams... and it seemed that everyone was giving me these tasty treats as get well gifts. I think I received 6 dozen in total... and I ended up using them to bribe the hospital nurses to let me sleep a few extra moments between check ups. I still managed to consume a large number of these delicacies myself... and despite the bad memories I've been hooked ever since.
I bought a product called Dolci Frutta on Valentine's day to make chocolate covered strawberries as a special hands on dessert for the girls. It was in the produce section next to the strawberries and it seemed like a fool proof way to make a special treat. The kids were pretty excited about it... but due to a rather hectic schedule we didn't get around to it until the weekend after the holiday. It was certainly fun and the chocolate tasted wonderful... but I think next time I'm going to try a different product. I couldn't find a way to get the chocolate to the perfect dipping consistency... and when I finally gave in it was really difficult to coat the strawberries. It wasn't as kid friendly an activity as I had planned (the chocolate was super hot... and then when it cooled down it was too thick)... But all in all it was a success.


Does anyone have any recipes for a good chocolate fondue??? or have experience with a product that might produce a more kid friendly result? As you can tell by the photo nobody was disappointed... but I'd like to do it again in the future.
Cheers,
Jenn

4 comments:

  1. I bought a great dipping pot from 'Hotel Chocolat' I think they have an outlet in Boston and ship. Son drooled all over it and got it down his face (not bad for 22years old) so i guess it'll be good for children.
    I'm now in need of chocolate and will have to raid Hubby's supply :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a chocolate marshmellow fondue recipe if you're interested. Also, I just read about the many uses of Nutella...and fondue is one of them!

    Whenever I have made chocolate covered pretzels or something like it, and I need to thin out my chocolate, I get a container of Paramount Crystals...I cannot recommend these enough. They make it so much easier to dip and mold with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jenn!

    The best way I have found is to melt chocolate chips over a double boiler. One of the tricks is to make sure the strawberries are completely dry after washing them.

    Thanks for visiting my food blog :)

    Have a wonderful weekend . . . Gina

    Gina's Italian Kitchen

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are my favorite quick snacks. I always have a bag of chocolate Candy Melts that I pop in the microwave when I get the craving. Great with bananas too.

    ReplyDelete

Tamales and Karaoke