Monday, February 8, 2010

Hey Gang... it looks like we've got another mystery on our hands...



I'm writing this Blog entry mainly so that I can show off the new Scooby Doo finger puppet set that I made for my daughters... but in the interest in staying on the topic of food and foodlore I thought I would ask that age old question...What is a scooby snack?

There are hundereds of recipes out there. Depending on who you ask you might get a recipe for a mixed drink, a dog treat, a cookie, a cracker, or even a illicit tid bit that could get you thrown into the pound. In Scotland there is even a fast food burger named after the famous snack food. There have been countless hints over the years as to what a scooby snack might taste like, but much like the location of Springfield (on The Simpsons) the hints often contradict one another, making it impossible to pin down its exact essence. Scooby Doo creator William Hanna invisioned the snacks as a caramel-flavored cookie (Wikipedia). I have always thought it would taste like pizza and bacon.

For my daughter's 4th birthday I tried my hand at making my own version. I used a pizza flavored cracker recipe and cut them into dog bone shapes. It was my first attempt at making crackers and while I thought the taste was right on... the texture was only suitable for well... the dogs...I would have never asked anyone to act as live bait for these chewy failures... Well I didn't find the answer that day... maybe I didn't look deep enough. Maybe what I really needed to do is reach way down inside myself and find my inner Scooby. Maybe instead of asking the question "What is a Scooby Snack?"... I should look inside my pantry... grab a little of this and a pinch of that and ask myself... What would Scooby Doo?

3 comments:

Tamales and Karaoke