Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thanksgiving Past

For the next week in preparation for Thanksgiving I'm going to be posting photos and recipes from Thanksgivings past. I'll write about some of my Thanksgiving memories and post the recipes that made these memories happen. I don't have many photos from Thanksgiving... in the years before digital images only a few of my photos have made it into my collection... and in more recent years, as both cook and photographer during the holidays, I find that the cooking wins and I don't have time for the camera.


This little photographic gem is from 'round about 1977... This is how I remember Thanksgiving as a child: A nicely set table, a BIG turkey, and those most dear to me (my mom, dad, brother and sometimes a grandparent or two) hanging out and eating together. I also remember thinking cranberry sauce was jelly and smearing it on rolls (something my papa found funny and thought merited a new family tradition), too many pies, tons of leftovers, and watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade on TV.


Speaking of pies... here are a couple of recipes for pies that we usually included on our Thanksgiving buffet... along with the more traditional pumpkin and pecan pies of course...



Fudge Pie

This pie is a favorite around my families house on holidays and birthdays. It was given to my mother by a friend from our church and has become a part of all our holiday traditions.

1 stick of margarine
2 squares of unsweetened chocolate
two eggs
1 C. sugar
¼ C. flour
1 t. vanilla
uncooked pie shell
vanilla ice cream

Melt margarine and chocolate. Beat the eggs separately. Add the sugar and flour to the eggs. Mix in the melted chocolate and margarine. Add the vanilla. Bake in an uncooked pie shell at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Serve after partially cooled with vanilla ice cream.

Lemon Pie

This is a wonderful and simple pie. My mother makes this one all the time.

1 can Eagle brand milk
3 egg yokes
1/2 C. lemon juice
graham cracker crust

Blend the first three ingredients and pour into the crust. Chill for several hours and then serve with whipped cream and garnish with lemon slices if you wish.

2 comments:

  1. Hello again! I love this idea....we don't celebrate Thanksgiving here but I used to work for The American Institute in Casablanca and they held a fab Thanksgiving meal. We did square dancing afterwards. Because Hubby and I are not celebrating Christmas this year due to son having left home and we'll be dog sitting in France again I think I might try an alternative. I'm going to follow the recipes and try to cook them for a change to our normal stuff. Don't forget to provide one with shredded wheat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to give the shredded wheat some thought...lol (and I actually did laugh out loud when I read your comment)...afterall it was SUCH a great deal.

    ReplyDelete

Tamales and Karaoke