Friday, April 23, 2010

Seoul Food


I had a wonderful lunch on Thursday with a friend that I've known since grade school. We reconnect every now and again. Every time we do I find myself wondering why we don't see each other more often. We went out for Korean food... which was a new one for me... and I really loved it. The restaurant was called Korea House and it is tucked inside an aging shopping strip... It has a sushi bar and is cramped with small tables... Our table was in a far corner near a fire place, stuffed with wood and chimney-less. The table beside us was occupied by a girl in a vintage dress who texted non-stop throughout her lunch... she was then replaced by a young guy with earphones.
I ordered one of the lunch specials that included Pork Bulgogi (spicy BBQ pork) and Yaki Mandu (fried dumplings). It was served with fried rice and a watery noodle soup. She ordered Bi Bim Bap, which is a variety of vegetables, meats, and pickles topped with a fried egg. We were also served a selection of small dishes that included things like Kimchi, pickled zucchini, boiled potatoes, strangely prepared sprouts, beans that looked a lot like baked beans but were something totally different, and a really awesome marinated tofu. It was a truly interesting meal... and I plan on experimenting with cooking Korean food in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tamales and Karaoke