Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Garden Fresh Tomato Sauce

A friend of mine was going out of town the other day and she brought over a bunch of fresh produce so that it wouldn't go to waste. One of the things she brought me was a bag of five or 6 vine ripened tomatoes that were about to go bad.... I decided to make up a batch of fresh pasta sauce and MAN was it good.

Here is what I did. I blanched the tomatoes in boiling water to loosen the skin and then peeled them. I pulsed them in the blender quickly to chop them up...but you could easily do this part by hand. I then sauteed onions and garlic until they were golden. I added some fresh Italian sausage and when it was completly browned I added the fresh tomatoes, 2 T. tomato paste, handfuls of fresh basil and oregano from my garden, salt and pepper to taste, and sliced black olives. I let it cook for about 45 minutes and then served it with steaming hot pasta. The sauce was so sweet and wonderful. It beats any jarred sauce hands down. Other wonderful additions would be red wine, sliced mushrooms, or any grated or chopped vegetables to add extra taste and nutrition. This will be great when my garden fresh tomatoes are ready to harvest. MMMMMMMmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tamales and Karaoke