Thursday, March 4, 2010

With Friends Like These- Part 2


Well my ten days in chain letter baking hell are at an end.... almost. I decided not to give the starters out to friends. No one wanted them and I decided not to make any enemies. Another thought was to have my husband pass them out at work (afterall that is where he got the starter to begin with)... but why risk job security over fermented flour, milk and sugar. I also opted against passing them out to neighbors. With an oak tree that produces thousands of bags of leaves annually (that blow onto neighbors yards) and a brewing feud concerning cars and cat poop why add fuel to the fire.





I decided instead that I was going to make all the bread myself and pass it out as gifts to friends. What could be a more perfect solution? Who wouldn't opt for fresh baked coffee cake over some goopy bag of mush that forces you to contemplate your relationships? The trouble is that baking day came and the weather was fantastic outside. Spring fever set in and I couldn't face a day of baking. Luckily I found out that you can freeze the starters and either defrost and use it to bake right away... or start the chain again. If you find yourself in a similar situation you might want to check out this link.






Here are a few funny links I found about Amish Friendship bread:









No comments:

Post a Comment

Tamales and Karaoke