Friday, April 8, 2011

Add a little zest to your next meal!

Last night I made orange zest for a reduction glaze for pork chops. I don't have a zester so I just used my grater. Zest adds a wonderful flavor to sauces, vegetables or meats. You can buy dried zest at the supermarket... but it is so easy to make your own. I highly recommend it because it adds a wonderful flavor. Check out this link for information on drying your own.
I also made lemon zest for my sauteed spinach. What a wonderful smell. Just make sure to stop grating when you get to the white pith. The pith is very bitter and can be a bit overpowering.


Here is my glaze for the pork chops. I used brown sugar, rosemary, broth, orange juice, orange zest, crushed red pepper, salt and pepper to make it. Follow this link for the recipe. I just made spinach instead of the broccolini because it was more readily available.



Here is how I made my sauteed spinach: I sauteed garlic and onions in olive oil until golden. Then added I the spinach and cooked until wilted. I threw in the juice and zest of one lemon, salt and pepper to taste, and there you have it! It is a wonderful and easy side dish.




Here is the finished meal... Sadly my kids didn't like it. They had a PB and J night. The husband liked the pork chops, but wasn't fond of the greens. Oh well it was just more for me.


Cheers,

Jenn



5 comments:

  1. I love adding citrus zest to my cooking and baking. I have the perfect gadget for it, too: the Microplane zester. It's one of my favorite kitchen tools. Have a great weekend!
    http://www.inspired2cook.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sauteed spinach with zest in it sounds amazing! Miriam@Meatless Meals For Meat Eaters

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by... I'll have to look into getting a zester... I've had it on my want list for a long time... problem is my want list is really long...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenn, I came by from Potluck Friday. I too love to zest citrus fruits. They do add great flavors. I just added a coconut cake recipe that uses lemon zest. It's just a little but it makes a difference in the flavor.

    Thanks for sharing,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yummy~! There are so many dishes that would perk up after an addition of zest. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tamales and Karaoke